Wednesday, September 3, 2008

.first day of school.

i had my "first day of school today." my mom would be so proud because i went out of my way to introduce myself and make friends and i even hung out with the "teacher."

no, i'm not back in grade school. no, i'm not even in a new grad school class - those start in 3 weeks. today marks the first day of my quasi-internship at rock harbor (the church i attend). granted, i have been a faithful attendee for 5 plus years now so the church isn't new, but the role most definitely is. i will be acting as the right-hand woman in college ministry for the coming school year, starting today.

i walked into a room promptly at 9am for a three hour staff and spouses meeting. i found a seat next to my one friend and his wife and i felt like the new kid on the first day of school at a brand new school where all the kids know each other. it was a fantastically awkward feeling. which, if you know me, you're probably thinking, "are you kidding, bree? you're one of the most social people i know!" agreed... except in this kind of a situation where i wish i was a snail or a turtle and had a shell to crawl into.

i sat there attentively for 3 hours, learned a ton and even got to absorb ridiculous amounts of wisdom and biblical context on prayer, which was amazing. at the end, we were told to break up into groups of 4 or 5 and pray together. i turn around to join a group and none other than the "rabbi" of all teaching pastors was sitting in my group. awesome. i know my voice probably shook a little from the pressure of praying in his group, but the good news is, i never have to have another first day on the job at rock harbor. it's all down hill from here. :)

No comments: